Lisa Çakmak, the associate curator of ancient art, curated the 2017 reinstallation of the Egyptian collection and co-curated the St. Louis presentation of “Sunken Cities: Egypt’s Lost Worlds.” She joined the Saint Louis Art Museum in 2010 as the Andrew W. Mellon Fellow for Ancient Art. She previously was the Niarchos Curatorial Fellow at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
Çakmak led the 2017 Egyptian reinstallation project through years of research and planning, including the 2014 CT-scanning of three mummies. As part of the Art Museum’s historic expansion, she installed galleries that highlight the art and architecture of the Roman Empire and showcase the Museum’s collection of Near Eastern, Greek and Etruscan art.
Çakmak received an undergraduate degree in art and archaeology from Princeton University, and she received a master of arts and doctorate in classical art and archaeology from the University of Michigan. Çakmak received a master of business administration degree from the Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis.
Notable media appearances and mentions
- Sunken Cities: Egypt’s Lost Worlds (Antiques and the Arts Weekly, May 22, 2018)
- Exhibit of undersea Egyptian treasures at St. Louis Art Museum is ‘big in every way’ (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, March 25, 2018)
- Leaps in CT scanning technology reveal more about the Saint Louis Art Museum’s Egyptian mummies (St. Louis Public Radio, March 19, 2018)
- Mummies on the move: New Egyptian gallery opens Friday at St. Louis Art Museum (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Dec. 12, 2017)
- Lost at sea for 1,000 years, recently discovered Egyptian artifacts headed for St. Louis (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Nov. 19, 2017)
- Arts Interview with Nancy Kranzberg (KDHX, 2016)
- Three Egyptian mummies receive high-tech treatment (Archaeology, Oct. 30, 2014)
- Gift of the Mummy (Science Friday, Oct. 28, 2014)
- Mummies get a closer look at Barnes-Jewish (The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Oct. 13, 2014)
- CT scans reveal surprises about Washington University and Saint Louis Art Museum’s Egyptian mummies (St. Louis Public Radio, Oct. 13, 2014)
Television and video
Recent SLAM exhibitions
- “Sunken Cities: Egypt’s Lost Worlds” (2018)